Last weekend Ben and I went backpacking with another couple, June and Troy. Ben works at the V.A. with Troy (he's a psychologist as well) and Troy has gone backpacking quite a bit before but it was mine and June's first time and I don't mind saying that we did awesome!!!!! We both had 25-28lb packs on our back and had to climb up some serious "stairs" and we're still alive and breathing. So on our first night we get there set up camp yadda yadda yadda, Ben is filtering some water on some rocks in the lake and I'm there with him and I hear a big SPLASH so I turn my head trying to figure out where it came from figuring it was just a fish jumping to get his own dinner, well I don't see anything or any ripples in the lake so I go back to watching Ben and then I hear it again so I turn my head looking around and this time I see something......I see a rather big brown thing, I say thing because it was a bit too far for me to really make out what it was, but it was at the bank of the lake and rustling around and as I'm studying this "thing" I don't tell Ben what I see just yet and I'm figuring at this point maybe its a moose.....A MOOSE in N. California! Look, I know good and well its not a moose but I wanted it to be anything but the big brown BEAR that it was. So you betcha I'm looking at Ben saying in a very quite voice, hey look over there what is that, holy crap its coming closer to us!!!! And short story long:) we tell Troy and June what's going on, June and I are getting pretty scared and ready to blow this popsicle camp stand and go running back home, but instead I grap Kingsley and throw him the tent and Troy at this point has a metal loud thing (I'm protecting his "metal loud thing") that could not harm but scare any large creature that might want to visit us so I instantly feel relieved and ready to continue on our weekend as is June. We start an illegal fire (in hopes that the fire could some how save us?) that we thought was a good idea. I say illegal because this time of year in Nevada and N. California fires are not aloud unless your at an actual camp ground. Its so dry here we have a huge problem with fires (just look at the news w/all the Calif. fires) anyhow we had a very fun weekend together and Troy and June were a blast to camp/backpack with.
Troy and June right before the start of our hike.
Ben, myself and Kingsley right before the hike. Notice Kingsley has his own hiking shoes on. We actually ended up returning them because they kept flying off his feet....but it was totally cute while it lasted.
This picture was taken too far away but just know that at this point we still smell good, we're nice and clean and not eaten alive by mosquito's just yet.
Alright this is easy, no big deal I can go forever like this!
Looking good so far!
We made it up all those stairs and we're still looking alright:)
Boy this pack is starting to get real heavy!
Wow! Gorgeous meadow that was just a huge mud pit a month ago. And we're almost there!!!!

Yawn! Troy feeling the need to take my picture first thing in the morning:)
Hey guys, look at the fish I helped my poppa catch! I'm such a good mountain spaniel! *Jesse, Brandon, Jim.....Ben actually caught a fish!!!!*

June caught her first "stick fish"
Pretty, Pretty June!
What a cute puppy dog.
Our friend Jen and her mountain schnauzer "cc". Jen is a psychology intern at the V.A.
Kingsley looooovvvveees June. I'm not sure but it could have something to do with the fact that every time June had food all Kingsley would have to do is flash his big brown puppy dog eyes at her and she'd cave in. It was pretty funny all weekend Kingsley followed June:)
Back off ladies.....he's All mine:) hahahaaaa
Hey Ben....how much have you had to drink today?
That looks yummy, can I have a bite?
Awwww you guys look pretty cute.

Bye Bye Lola Montez we have come and conquered and we bid you farewell!
I leave you with a little video of kingsley playing with "his" fish:)
5 comments:
Such a fun post! I loved it!
Katie you rock! I sure hope your husband knows how cool you are for hiking with a 27# pack on your back! Um... can't say that my husband would be so lucky! Don't tell him though - that way he'll never know! : )
Loved all the pictures and Kingsleys shoes! Too funny!
Ben totally looked like he was on his 5th or 7th beer in those pictures! LOL! Love ya Ben! : )
looks like you ladies had a good time!! When do you move to MO?
Melinda (who is now undercover as George...)
haha, I'm SOOO tired that I had forgotten the first part of your post (about moving) by the time I got to the bottom of it! Well...good luck packing and moving!
HAHAHA. Ben looked like he was feeling really good in those pics. I am just glad he didn't almost cut off his finger during this camping trip!
The backpacking trip looks like it was beautiful! I'm glad you survived the bear. I miss the days of backpacking, I need to wait until the boys are big enough to carry all my stuff on their backs before we go again.
Post a Comment