Sunday, July 08, 2007

Reno 911

Ok, well here we are. Home sweet home...for the next year! Sorry it took so long to update the blog with the new "happenings," but as you know, it wouldn't be the Giesbrecht way to do it right away. That, and it's tough to blog when you don't have the Internet...it really takes a long time to post!

Where to begin. Let me just put it this way...if you have never passed 3 vehicles at once driving a 17-foot U-haul doing 80 mph on a single lane freeway, you really haven't lived. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

Katie and I decided to have an early start to our trip, because as many of you know, we were planning on doing the drive in one day. To compound things, we had to get to our apartment before 4 o'clock (when they closed) or we wouldn't get our keys (and therefore have to spend $150 on a hotel for the night). So 5:30 a.m. it was, Duke next to me screaming bloody murder and Kingsley next to Katie as happy as a clam. Double UGH.

All was going fine and dandy until about our halfway point. Around Mt. Shasta we stopped for lunch and realized that we were running a bit behind schedule. With a flip of the finger I hit the Nitrous in my Ford E-350 and Katie served as my "bandit."



Katie: Roger.


So anyway, we finally made it into Reno at 3:50 (in case you can't do 2nd grade math, that's ten minutes left until the office closed). We got our keys and proceeded to our apartment. My initial thought was something like this...

Those covers for the parking spot are waaaay to nice. I better bang one up a bit to make it feel more like home.

I showed that cover. Who's the boss? Let's be honest, a tin cover was no match for my 10 ton U-haul, although it did put up a good fight. Thankfully the U-haul people didn't see the battle wound the roof distributed, so no worries!

So now we're moved in. We have our cable and Internet set up (21st century security blankets) and new phone numbers as well, which I'll post at the end. We are planning some fun little day trips in the near future and we will make sure to bring our camera and be able to show some of you what it's like here.
A note to all who read this...Katie and I sure do miss you all. We made some friendships that will last a lifetime and as much fun as this adventure will be, moving from friends and family that you love so much makes this a bittersweet event. We love you all.

Katie (AKA Bandit): 775-857-8035
Ben (AKA Roger): 775-857-7073


6 comments:

Brandon said...

Glad you two made it safely! I would've loved to see you run that Uhaul into the awning (especially with only 3000 miles on that Uhaul!). Miss you guys!!!

Melinda said...

Glad you made it on time and won against the awning. One word of advice Ben, just because you're in Reno, doesn't mean you get to wear short shorts....

Natalie said...

Soooo glad to hear you guys made it safe and sound (well except for the U-Haul truck!) Hope you are enjoying your new apartment and your new city and your adorable new puppy too. I look forward to seeing pictures of your adventures! Miss you both :)

Laura Fenske said...

Welcome home! I'm excited to see pictures and hear more stories.

Anonymous said...

It was so nice to read about your life over the last 6 weeks or so and see all the pictures. Did you really run the truck into the awning? Did the apt manager care? Hope all is well. Love, Holly

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie (and Ben). My sister and Skip should be bringing potluck over any time now. :-)

I am so glad to finally be able to read your post and you are there safely. Of course I was checking every day. :-(

It has been HOT here too. I think hotter than Reno one day. Can't wait for the pictures!